Welcome back. We are here to talk more about autoimmune disease and how prevalent it is now in the U.S. alone. These diseases are often self-diagnosed and medicated without proper care or treatment. Unfortunately, AD can cause serious symptoms like pain and inflammation, fatigue, depression and more.
Because those suffering feel like they're alone in their battle, they tend to turn to drugs and alcohol to help them get through their pain and suffering.
Facts | Alcohol Rehab Charlotte
Below, you'll find information from the NIH and other listed resources about AD and how important it is to understand symptoms. Doing so might help in cases where self-medicating and addiction come into play.
- Understanding how to modulate immune system activity will benefit transplant recipients, cancer patients, AIDS patients and infectious disease patients
- There are 50 million Americans with an Autoimmune Disease $591 million dollars spent by the NIH on AD research compared to the $61 billion spent on cancer
- The NIH Autoimmune Diseases Research Plan states; “Research discoveries of the last decade have made autoimmune research one of the most promising areas of new discovery”
- The National Institutes of Health (NIH estimates up to 235* million Americans suffer from autoimmune disease and that the prevalence is rising We at AARDA say that 50 million* Americans suffer from autoimmune disease Why the difference? The NIH numbers only include 24 diseases for which good epidemiology studies were available
- The Institute of Medicine reports that the US is behind other countries in research into immune system self recognition, the process involved in autoimmune disease
- Symptoms cross many specialties and can affect all body organs
- Specialists are generally unaware of interrelationships among the different autoimmune diseases or advances in treatment outside their own specialty area
- Researchers have identified 80-100 different autoimmune diseases and suspect at least 40 additional diseases of having an autoimmune basis These diseases are chronic and can be life-threatening
- Research is generally disease-specific and limited in scope More information-sharing and crossover among research projects on different autoimmune diseases is needed
- NIH research funding for AD in 2003 came to $591 million In comparison, cancer funding came to $61 billion; and heart and stroke, to $24 billion (source: NIH)
- NIH estimates up to 235 million Americans* have an AD In comparison, cancer affects up to 9 million and heart disease up to 22 million
- NIH estimates annual direct health care costs for AD to be in the range of $100 billion (source: NIH presentation by Dr Fauci, NIAID) In comparison, cancers costs are $57 billion (source: NIH, ACS), and heart and stroke costs are $200 billion (source: NIH, AHA)
- Medical education provides minimal learning about autoimmune disease
- Initial symptoms are often intermittent and unspecific until the disease becomes acute
- Commonly used immunosuppressant treatments lead to devastating long-term side effects
- Autoimmune disease is one of the top 10 leading causes of death in female children and women in all age groups up to 64 years of age
- According to the Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of Women’s Health, autoimmune disease and disorders ranked #1 in a top ten list of most popular health topics requested by callers to the National Women’s Health Information Center
- A close genetic relationship exists among autoimmune disease, explaining clustering in individuals and families as well as a common pathway of disease
If you missed our previous blog, be sure to visit back there for more information about AD, including a list of all the types of autoimmune diseases recognized all over the world.
If you are concerned about your own drinking problems were with someone you love, please consider talking with our facility. Also, familiarize yourself with the warning signs of alcohol abuse. Hopefully, you can catch the serious problem before it gets worse.
Alcohol Rehab in Charlotte Might Be The Only Solution!
With all that challenges facing teens and adults in today's time, it's important to make sure they're informed of substance abuse issues as well as, substance abuse prevention and ways to avoid and overcome the peer pressure they might face, day to day.
For help with these issues, or if you or someone you love is already dealing with a drug or alcohol addiction, please contact us to learn about alcohol rehab in Charlotte at Legacy Freedom. We are here to help.