A drug and alcohol abuse counselor is a career that is significant for many reasons. Over the course of the past few blogs, we've not only talked about what this profession is, but also the training and certifications you must have in order to obtain a position in this field.
Below, you'll find a recap of what you'll need. Are you searching for substance abuse treatment centers in Greensboro NC? Call Legacy Freedom for affordable rehabilitation programs.
Training and Certifications
- Work towards a two or four year degree (depending on what your state requires)
- Work as a counselor under supervision at a clinic, obtaining practice hours while shadowing a professional.
- Have a child abuse background check as well as a felony background check completed and passed.
- Take the national and state licensing (if your state requires it) test to receive a certification, after a degree has been completed.
Sometimes, depending on where you live, you might not need an actual associate's or bachelor's degree. A high school diploma will be sufficient, along with the training and certifications above.
If your state only requires an associate's degree to be eligible to become a counselor, it should be one in psychology or counseling. The degree will cover treating patients and job duties of a substance abuse counselor.
If you must obtain a four year degree in your state, you’ll take courses regarding fundamental skills that will help you become a knowledgeable counselor. Even if the area in which you live doesn’t require a bachelor’s degree, receiving one will result in a higher paying, more qualified position. It might be beneficial to complete a full four years, no matter what is required. Sometimes, bachelor’s degrees can be completed within three years as well. During your three to four years, you’ll take courses and learn much about the following:
- Psychological Evaluations and Assessments
- Pharmacology and Psychopharmacology
- Group and Individual Therapy
- Analysis of Chemical or Behavioral Addiction
- Dependency Psychology and Sociology
The following universities and colleges offer an online bachelor’s degree so you can be a counselor at one of the substance abuse treatment centers in Greensboro NC, or your location.
- University of South Dakota Bachelor of Science in Addiction Studies
- Southern New Hampshire University Bachelor of Arts in Psychology / Addictions
- Northwestern State University of Louisiana Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Grand Canyon University Bachelor of Science in Counseling: Addiction, Chemical Dependency & Substance Abuse
There are also opportunities to obtain a master’s degree. This advancement could lead to higher positions and pay, including facility administrator and more.
Those that have a calling to redirect their career and become a counselor do not have to start over completely with education. The Association for Addiction Professionals (NAADAC) states that they offer the following certifications for those that are hoping to redirect their career:
- Conflict Resolution in Recovery Certificate
- National Certified Adolescent Addiction Counselor
- National Clinical Supervision Endorsement
- National Endorsed Co-Occurring Disorders Professional
- National Endorsed Student Assistance Professional
- National Peer Recovery Support Specialist
- Nicotine Dependence Specialist
- Recover to Practice (RTP) Certificate
Interested in learning more? Visit back with our blog, soon. We will talk about job duties, career outlook, salary and more. For those looking to find a rehab center for addiction, consider Legacy Freedom.
Affordable Substance Abuse Treatment Centers in Greensboro NC
If you, or your loved one is suffering from a substance abuse problem, it's time to get professional treatment. While it’s to believe they are alone in this struggle, that is the farthest thing from the truth. There are numerous people and families dealing with addiction, all over the world, and they need rehab as well. Regardless of how bad your drug or alcohol use has become, help is always available with the many substance abuse treatment centers in Greensboro NC. However, all of them are not the same. That's why you should contact Legacy Freedom of Greensboro if your loved one needs alternative, personalized therapy. We are here to help them get back on track to a healthier, happier life.