Alcohol and drug addictions are costly. Not only do they cost the addict their friends, family, home, job, health, and freedom, these addictions are often expensive and can lead to financial ruin for many addicts. Between the fees and fines for driving drunk or being intoxicated in public, and the medical expenses associated with addiction, it is no wonder that many users turn to theft or prostitution to afford their drug of choice. If you need drug rehab in Wilmington NC, please call Legacy Freedom for help.
The Pat Moore Foundation released a comprehensive breakdown of what it actually costs an addict to use drugs or alcohol. The Foundation cautions that these are very conservative estimates, but even so, the amount of money spent to feed addictions every year in this country is staggering. For many, the amount that is devoted to pills, booze or other substances is enough to pay for counseling, make monthly mortgage payments, or to pay for college courses.
The Office of Drug Control National Policy estimates that every dollar that is spent on substance abuse treatment saves the addict $4 in health care costs and $7 in legal or criminal justice costs. Let's examine the amount of money that some addicts spend to get their high:
- Heroin - A single hit of heroin costs around $10.00. An addict who uses one hit a day spends $3,650 a year on their drug of choice. This does not include the additional costs for health care related to their addiction or legal fees and fines as a result of their addiction. An arrest for possession of heroin can cost $5,000 and land the addict in jail for up to one year. Calculate in the lost wages of a year out of work and that number quickly skyrockets. The actual average cost of a daily heroin habit is around $150.00 per day. That equates to around $55,000 per year which is more than enough money to make mortgage payments on a home or receive treatment for heroin addiction.
- Alcohol - The average cost of a DUI charge in the United States is around $10,000. Additional charges for public intoxication and court costs can add up to anywhere from $150 to $1,000 a year. When you add this to the amount of money an alcoholic spends on booze per day, the sum of money that is tied to one of the most common addictions is astounding. These costs do not factor in trips to the bar or additional purchases made as a result of being drunk. If you need alcohol or drug rehab in Wilmington NC, Legacy can help. Call today.
- Bottle of vodka per night - $15.00 = $5,475/year
- Bottle of wine per night - $8.00 = $2,920/year
- Beer - 12 pack per night - $9.00 = $3,285/year
- Opiates - One of the most addictive drugs out there, opiate-based painkillers are often difficult to get on the street and may force those who are addicted to them to seek out heroin to maintain their addiction. The street value of these prescription pills is mind-blowing. A 10mg tablet of OxyContin has a street value of $5.00 to $10.00. The average OxyContin addict requires 80 to 400 milligrams a day to satisfy their cravings. This means that an addict who is addicted to 10mg OxyContin pills will spend between $7,300 and $21,900 per year depending upon tablet cost and frequency of use. Even more alarming is the street value of 80mg OcyContin. These powerful pills retail on the street for anywhere between $65.00 and $80.00 meaning that addicts who choose the higher potency Oxy are spending upwards of $71,000 per year to get high. This is in addition to any legal or criminal fees and fines that may accompany their addiction.
- Cocaine - What was once thought of as a 'party' drug has now become a daily habit for many people. The short high associated with this drug requires addicts to use more and more to obtain the same high over time. A cocaine addict may use several grams of cocaine a day in order to manage their cravings. Cocaine addiction involves a physical, mental and emotional addiction that can be very difficult to break. An addict who uses a gram of cocaine a day will spend around $50 to $70 per gram. This translates to around $21,900 to $25,500 per year. However, as the addict's addiction and cravings grow, many addicts will require an 'eight ball' or 3.5 grams of cocaine a day to feed their habit. These eight balls range in price from $150 to $250 per ball bringing the annual cost to between $54, 750 and $91, 250.
- Methamphetamines - Meth addicts, like cocaine addicts, build a tolerance to their drug of choice quickly. Requiring more and more of the drug to feed their addiction, meth addicts will spend up to $400 per day on meth. A 1/4 gram of meth is equal to approximately one dose, however, depending on the user's tolerance and the purity of the drug, the high may only last 4 hours, leading the addict to seek out more meth. The cost for 1/4 gram of meth a day is about $25.00, making the annual cost of a 1/4 gram a day habit about $9,125. However, the cost of a gram per day is $100, which equates to $36,500 per year. Couple these costs with the fees for possession and lost wages due to jail time and that number skyrockets.
These figures don't accurately represent the amount of money that addicts spend on emergency room visits for overdoses, accidents, cardiac arrests, other health issues or sexually transmitted diseases. They also fail to take into account the costs associated with things like a DUI that include impound and towing fees, auto insurance premium increases or job loss. The price tag of addiction is high. Investing in treatment and recovery for your addiction is a worthwhile investment when you begin to examine the financial costs of your addiction. Know that Legacy Freedom offers the best alcohol and drug rehab in Wilmington NC. Call now.
Holistic Outpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab in Wilmington NC
If you, or someone you love, are paying the high price of addiction, Legacy Freedom of Wilmington can help. Our holistic approach to drug and alcohol addiction is unique. We are not a twelve step program. Instead, we focus on you, not your addiction. Getting to the root of why you use is the key to your sobriety and drug rehab. Whether you use to self-medicate for an undiagnosed mental illness or to cope with trauma, sexual abuse, or poor self-esteem, our dedicated team of professional counselors will help you isolate the reason you use alcohol or drugs.
Your life-purpose coach will guide you through a care plan that is customized to your needs. Connecting you with a counselor to work with you one-on-one and in group therapy sessions where you will meet other recovering addicts and find the support you need from your peers to help you maintain a sober, healthy lifestyle away from our outpatient clinic. We know that involving friends and loved ones in your treatment is vital for your success and long-term sobriety, so we encourage their involvement as your treatment plan allows.
Healing your body is crucial for your recovery. Together with our on-staff physical therapist and dietician, you will learn to nourish your body and repair the damages of addiction through proper diet and exercise. Legacy Freedom also offers alternative therapies to help you establish new, healthy boundaries and learn to cope with the feelings or symptoms that make you want to turn to your drug of choice. With more than ten different therapies to choose from, your care team will help you choose the right treatment for you.
What are you waiting for? The help you need to begin living a sober, purpose-filled life is just a call or click away! Reach out and begin your healing journey with alcohol and drug rehab in Wilmington NC you can depend on!